Recognise that picture? the one on the t-shirt? No? Well it is this one:
Which is from the shoot A Date with a Dragster which was done just about a year ago! Well the lads at Fueltopia liked it so much they put it onto a t-shirt! (Which you can buy from here)
Anyway a bit about the photo itself…
Well that background is 100% real. None of it is photoshop! I used smoke pellets for this, you can get some from Amazon. This is something that I have been wanting to try out for a long time and I really happy with the results, it is such an easy way to get a dynamic background, knowing how well they work and how easy they are to use, I will be using them again in the future for sure!
To light this scene I used my trusty 28″ Westcott Apollo Softbox which was camera right. Inside it was a Canon 430EX II at 1/8th power. Behind me I had a Yongnuo YN460 II at 1/16th power which was fired bare. I triggered the flashes with my Hahnel Combi TF triggers which I wrote about in this post. The camera was a Canon 5DMkIII with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM lens at f/2.8 ISO100 and 1/200th of a second.
I shot this outside my flat at a time when I only had 1 flash unit. Naturally that isn’t quite enough to light up a whole car in a single exposure. So I had to do multiple exposure. I thought I would show you how it was done.
Thanks for watching,
Pretty much a year ago I shot this image! I shot it at Mercedes World near Woking. I have to say I normally like to get things as close to the final image in camera as possible but with this image, well that just wan’t possible.
Here is a animated gif showing you the progression of the image over about 4 hours in photoshop.
Essentially it was a lot clone stamping, heal tool, paint brush and masking. I don’t think I would want to do this much retouching just to get an image again. But it is nice to know that I can if I need to.
Thanks for watching,
Back in October I shot a McLaren MP4-12C. I had been dying to shoot this car for a long time and I had been waiting 3 Months to shoot it. On the day of the shoot, the weather was threatening to turn for the worst and taunting us with spattering’s of rain. Which finally ended in us being snowed off of the shoot. I got maybe 10 minutes to shoot this car.
Here is the original edit from the shoot.
And here is my re-edit:
I think I know where I went wrong. As I normally shoot portraits, I tend to under expose the background and then light the subject to make them pop off the background. That is what I started to do with the McLaren. Except I made a massive mistake, the McLaren is black.
It seems so obvious now but making a background darker to match a dark car will make them blend into each other.
I went through my exposures and found one where the background was at a better exposure and then used far less exposures to “build” the car. In the end, I had used 3 different exposures. From memory I think I used 5 for the original.
So less really is more.
I think now, the car separates itself nicely away from the background. I am much happier now with the image. I will be going back to visit this car in the summer which will mean a full feature so do stay tuned!
I hope you like it.
As it was requested, here is another image breakdown. Nothing special in terms of editing here, just good exposure and pleasing white balance. A lot of the credit here can be taken by the location. Carnaby Street in London is one of my favourite locations for street portraits.
I positioned Crystal in front of a bright shop front using the lighting from the store front as a key light, standing her inthe middle of the street also added for nice symmetry across the image.
That’s about it.