I always enjoyed going to car shows as a spectator but as a photographer….eeehhh it’s a little tougher. Lots of people, horrible lighting, low light, tight spaces and hard to get decent isolation on a car.
So on one hand, I was super excited (as I love old VW’s) but also a little apprehensive. I was a little concerned at how my images would come out.
THAT being said…I am really happy.
What separates these cars apart isn’t the overall look of the car but the tiny details that contribute to the overall appearance.
These cars are so personal and individual that you simply can’t just select a favourite from the crowd.
You really need to consider all of the details the owners have put into the cars, see the labour of love that is their car.
And it is a labour of love. From talking to the owners of these cars, they didn’t simply drive down to the event.
Each journey was an adventure, a challenge, a pilgrimage – surrounded by their buddies and helping each other.
And that’s what I love about this community. These events might be laid on by sponsors and magazines but essentially it is a bunch of mates meeting up to show off how old their cars are.
I love that.
If you want to see more – there is plenty more photos over on my page http://www.facebook.com/shootingdave
Back in October I shot a McLaren MP4-12C. I had been dying to shoot this car for a long time and I had been waiting 3 Months to shoot it. On the day of the shoot, the weather was threatening to turn for the worst and taunting us with spattering’s of rain. Which finally ended in us being snowed off of the shoot. I got maybe 10 minutes to shoot this car.
Here is the original edit from the shoot.
And here is my re-edit:
I think I know where I went wrong. As I normally shoot portraits, I tend to under expose the background and then light the subject to make them pop off the background. That is what I started to do with the McLaren. Except I made a massive mistake, the McLaren is black.
It seems so obvious now but making a background darker to match a dark car will make them blend into each other.
I went through my exposures and found one where the background was at a better exposure and then used far less exposures to “build” the car. In the end, I had used 3 different exposures. From memory I think I used 5 for the original.
So less really is more.
I think now, the car separates itself nicely away from the background. I am much happier now with the image. I will be going back to visit this car in the summer which will mean a full feature so do stay tuned!
I hope you like it.
Now considering the poor shape this photo started out as, I thought I would share a breakdown on how I salvaged it. Here is an animated gif of the whole process:
But where most of the work was done is in the RAW conversion.
As you can see it is quite obvious what I rejected this image in the first place.
Here are some of the settings I used to rescue this image.
Well I hope you enjoyed this little breakdown.